The movers arrived late on September 2, but did a good job of hauling out all the furniture. I had just a few more things to pack up (turned out to be a whole host of things). The garbage men were supposed to come and pick up so I madly put out all the food and liquids that we could not take, but alas they never came. When 5:30 rolled around they said they had to go, so I had to pay them to pack up all that was left in Moody's area and some in the basement. We had to leave a lot behind because our cars were full and the van was gone; so with SOS help from Monica, Maureen, Don, and Kathy, we bagged up all that was left in the house and put it out on the street. By 8:30pm, it looked like a fortress wall of white and black garbage bags and a few pieces of furniture. Every bone and muscle in my body ached. Kathy got us a take out Mediterranean Platter from the New Deal Cafe which was wonderful, then off to bed.
We were up before dawn and had a nice breakfast from Don, then Moody and I separately drove our packed cars to NC. I had to be there to pick up an award at the NCHS facility in NC at a 1:30 ceremony. I arrived just as the presenter was calling my name - talk about last minute. The movers arrived about 4:30 and wanted to hauling in the furniture - which they did for about 2 hours. Then they came back the next morning and finished by 10am. We have been unpacking ever since. Only a few things were broken, and I can't find a few boxes with some stuff like DVDs and cooking pots. Can't imagine what happened to them as we were the only folks on that truck.
So after a week of being in Pittsboro, we are finally getting settled. The refrigerator arrived yesterday, the washer and dryer on Monday; the Internet, TV, and phone yesterday. They also came and measured the windows for plantation shutters which will take about 7 weeks to custom make and install. Tomorrow, an electrician will come to hang our antler chandelier and some more ceiling fans. (I find it warm) We did have a little hurricane (HANNAH) Saturday but it wasn't much by Nantucket standards.
All the neighbors are extremely nice and the food markets and restaurants are wonderful. Looking forward to a nice long Autumn - we just live on the screen porch. Will post pictures this weekend. *