Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Final Resting

It's been some time since I posted anything. Last week I went to NYC and College Park. Thursday night was a concert by ARTEK in memory of my Aunt Liddy. Afterwards a small reception was held up at my Uncle's apartment. Saw many old friends including Rob, Chris, Mary, and Gibb which was very nice.

On Friday, April 20th, Ned drove me down to College Park in time to shower and change for Moody's funeral. About 200 people attended the 6:30pm service. It was very wonderful with a bagpiper, all my favorite hymns, homages to Moody, and a lovely reception engineered by Betsy Bindschadler. Mary Gawlik and Mary Marshall did the flowers for the church and reception. After the church service (which lasted about 1.5 hours), the congregation, clergy, and choir went out to the courtyard for the internment and the piper played Amazing Grace. There were lots of family, friends, and former fellow parishoners in attendence including about 20 of my relatives, 13 former colleagues from NCHS, the former rector who followed Moody, Karla Woggon, and several of Moody's former clergy colleagues, and of course his two best friends, Waite and Ted and their wives (Christine and Deborah). Folks seemed to enjoy the slide show Mary Laurel put together and the Moody Book.   Carol Jablonski presided and gave a nice homily for Moody  (you have to scroll down to see it).  Waite's remarks can be found on the links at the left.  In addition to ML, Robert, and myself, the funeral was attended by 8 Fergusons, 3 Wilsons, 2 Guihers, 2 Chamblees, 4 Browns, and 1 Terry.  Afterwards ML, Robert, Molly, Ned, Mal, Charles, and I were treated to dinner at Ledo's by John-Mac.
Final resting place for Moody's cremains at the St. Andrew's columbarium
Ned and John-Mac at Ledo's
Saturday, Ned, Don, Mal, Charles and I went down to Jaleo for lunch. It has changed its format to become more of a sports bar but still serving tapas. No more free bread and olive oil. While the food was still yummy, I think I will remove it from my "must do" list when in DC. We then went up to Baltimore to enjoy family and dinner at ML and Robert's home.
 
Sunday morning was the baptism of Kirby and Ryan's daughter, Cameron. She is such a cutie. I got to spend some quality time with her as well as Mary and Rudy at Kirby's home. Sunday evening, Don, Kathy, and I went to have dessert with Frank and Susan Gervasi. We all jointly mourned Moody's death as well as Susan's daughter, Marisa, who died from a tragic accident a few weeks before Moody. They had a little memorial set up in their home to Marisa exactly like the one I had here for Moody. Marisa's cremains are still there whereas, Moody's are now in the College Park.
Cameron's Baptism with proud parents and grandparents
Cameron and me
Charles, Kathy, Don, and Mal
Robert and Mary Laurel

Da girls and I returned home Monday to find our rose garden in bloom.  We are grateful to Don and Kathy who put us up for 5 nights and took such good care of Zoe and Zelda.  I also dumped the dogs on Mary Lou and Anne who kept them while I talked with Carol about the service on Wednesday afternoon.  It's good to be home and last night was the first night in over a month that I did not have to use a sleeping pill to get to sleep.