Wednesday, January 16, 2013

desperate measures for desperate folks

So let's be clear, I am the desperate one here.  And what am I desperate about?  My tennis elbow hurts and prevents me from getting out and playing (or lifting anything with my right hand); my vacuum cleaner died because I did not change the bag soon enough; and I still miss Moody very much. So what have I done about all this?  Read on...

I found ladies to take almost all my tennis games for the next few months (the season and schedule are up at end of March) and I went to see an acupuncturist.  The first was difficult to accomplish and the second was a bit painful.  He took my pulse and looked at my tongue.  Then he had me lie on the massage table face down and he started putting needles into my skin. Some of the steel pins that the practitioner inserted sent tingles all the way down my arm and out the end of my index finger. (He called that good!)  Some pins didn't hurt at all. He put needles in my arm, hand, back, ankles and top of my scalp.  Then I lay there face down for about 20 minutes.  He took them out and massaged my right arm, shoulder and back near the neck.  Then he did some on my front and stretched my arm a bit.  He said to do the stretches at home and come back in 2 weeks.  I made the appt and will probably keep it. I'm desperate!

I bought a Roomba which is a little robot vacuum that is a small disc about 5 inches tall. It goes around the house picking up dog hair, dust, and dirt.  When it's done it goes back to its docking port and recharges.  I have to empty the little bin and clean the hair off of the rollers.  But it was clear that I could not use it as my only vacuum so I bought a Dyson vacuum excellent for pet hair.  I went over the places that the Roomba went and picked up masses of dog hair.  So while the Roomba is not very effective on carpets, it's pretty good on the bare floor.  I named it "Buddy" and he helps me and keeps me company and gives me something to supervise, so I do not think I will return it.  It's really good for going under things like the couch and the bed.  The two corgis shed mountains of hair daily.

I followed a suggestion from my pastor at Chapel in the Pines to have a person come and talk with me weekly about my grief.  This is a program called Stephen Ministries and is done by all kinds of groups like churches.  The volunteers are trained to come and listen to folks going through crises.  I've been very tired and depressed since the time change in the beginning of November and of course the holidays didn't help.  I do feel better now even before the person came.  She lives here in Fearrington and will come on Monday mornings for an hour for a month or so - then I will see if I still need someone to talk with.  I'm sure that 3 days in the 70's was helpful for improving my mood.  But now I have to go weed but don't want to use my right arm....ah...

Rehearsals for Pirates of Penzance are in full swing.  If you want to come for one of the performances, let me know- March 14-17 & 22-24, 2013 at the Carolina Theatre.  Mary Laurel and Robert are coming March 23.

Also- sending healing vibes to cousin Jeff who tore ligaments in his ankle and chipped a bone last weekend while walking in Kanawha State Forest with the dogs.  He had surgery yesterday and will be off his feet for awhile.