Thursday, January 15, 2015

WV Weekend

The first weekend in January I packed the car with a few clothes and drove up to Charleston. Jeff and I then drove the next day to Clarksburg for Uncle Jim's funeral and burial. We both said a few words at the service then we all repaired for a grand Italian lunch. On Sunday I went to St. John's morning service with my former fellow chorister, Suzette, who was in town from Nashville. Sunday afternoon we both attended Martha Giltenan's memorial service. I saw several old friends at the reception. On Monday, Patti and I went shopping before returning home.  My XM radio kept me company on the 5-hour trip over the mountains; 50's and 60's music.

Patti and I drove up to Mt. View Cemetary to say hello to Jeff's parents, her parents, and my grandmother. I also got to examine the new marker that the VA provided for my Dad. Even though his ashes were scattered at sea, they gave us a stone to put up next to his mom.  On the way to church we drove by 1511 Quarrier St. and found it was for sale again. Part of me wants to move there but what would I do with over 4,000 sq ft? http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1511-Quarrier-St-Charleston-WV-25311/81846965_zpid/#noAppRedir

Driving over the hills to Charleston is like going back in time. I now know more people in the Cemetary there than are walking on the ground. Images from the fifties and sixties just hop about in my head; Halloween and Christmas on Quarrier St, watching the Cincinatti Reds with my grandmother on her little TV, walking to school on the longest city block in the world, Cub Scout meeting in the dining room, mother practicing piano in the parlor, etc.  It's so sad to me that they tore down Kanawha School at Elizabeth St. Its high ceilings and huge windows were so welcoming. I always felt very secure at school. I don't imagine children feel that way anymore.