Monday, February 27, 2017

Last day of February

It was been like Spring here in Fearrington Village.  The warm weather has the cherry trees and Bradford Pear trees blooming as well as daffodils and forsythia.  

I have been living in the 15th C during the Wars of the Roses.  Been watching the Hollow Crown series of Shakepeare's History plays on PBS. I look up all the characters in John's genealogical database and Luminarium to see who's related to me. The answer is almost everybody! I am a direct descendant of about half and niece or cousin to everybody else. The last king from whence my parents descend was Edward III. They each were descendent from several of his many children, half of which were from his granddaughter Joan by John of Guant & Kathryn Swynford. I made up a cheat sheet of the inter-relations of the time and highlight the direct ancestors so when I want to know how this or that character is related I just have to look. I also watched a ten part series of the White Queen that is based on 3 books by Phillipa Gregory. The books are about the women in the Court from 1460-1483: Edward IV's wife Elizabeth Woodville, Henry VII's mother Lady Margaret Beaufort, and the two daughters of Richard Neville the Kingmaker, Isobel and Anne, who each married Edward IV 's brothers. We are descendant from Isobel Neville and George, Duke of Clarence. Many of the others from whom we descend were executed via decapitation, but after they produced children.

Meanwhile, I attend board meetings, call Senators, and play tennis. I started my new Spanish class on Mondays and in March will start a 4-week lecture series on Revelation by an esteemed Duke U. Professor.  Below is a cute pic of Arlo and Lyle playing together. Courtney told me that Lane Baker (Betty Stuart's widower) died last month. And John-Mac Terry has remarried!