Saturday, March 18, 2017

Trip to NYC

Pfizer asked me to come to NYC for some quality control on their analysis using the datasets I used to create when I worked at NCHS.  I flew up on March 16 and returned home March 17. They were so nice and sent limos to take me to and from airports.  Both my hotel room and return airplane seat were upgraded to a suite and first-class, respectively.  So I had an extra bedroom and a kitchen in my hotel and ginger ale in a real glass on the airplane!

I enjoyed visiting with Sim's friends Bobbi and Mickey at a trés lush French bistro across from Lincoln Center.  I had duck paté, saffron risotto, and chocolate souffle with pistachio creme.  It was so tasty and so much fun to catch up with my new friends.

Before I returned to LGA, my client and I went to lunch at Sakagura Japanese Restaurant located in a basement on E 43rd Street.  It was so yummy!!!!  I had a bowl (donburi) of sushi rice topped with tuna and salmon sashimi and salmon roe (there's a picture on that link of sake ikura don).  The rice had little strips of crispy nori mixed with it.  So it was like sushi but not formed into cute little rolls.  It came with a miso soup that was the best tasting miso I have ever had.  For dessert, we shared a Black Sesame ice cream.  This was just vanilla ice cream with swirls of a paste made of black sesame seeds.  It was served with a little round flat brittle made of sugar and sesame seeds.  I highly recommend this to anyone going to NYC, but must warn you it gets crowded so reservations are a good idea.  You also have to walk down 2 flights of stairs to get from the street to the basement.  I don't recall an elevator but they must have one.  I expect if Pfizer asks me to return, I will agree, if only to have a chance to eat here again.