Tuesday, November 14, 2017

50 years anniversary

This Halloween was the 50th anniversary of when my family moved from my hometown to NYC.  It was in 1967 that I said goodbye to my friends, cousins, and grandmother to live in the fast lane of Manhattan.  I traded my Brown cousins for my Guiher cousins, boys for girls. I was in the 10th grade and started at Rhodes School at 11 W 54th Street.  NYC was totally magical.  I took 2 buses to get to school from our 18th floor apartment at 89th and First Ave.  I passed by the Plaza Hotel every day on my way to school and on the way home - I passed by the German bakery at 87th and First Ave.  Often, I bought a piece of crumb cake and came home to watch all the little lights turn on the GW and Triborough bridges.  We only lived there for 2 years and 2 months before having to move out to Yonkers where the rent was less dear.

Every Wednesday I would buy a Variety to see what auditions were available and keep in touch with the theatre world. I never actually auditioned for anything outside of school plays but I was ready should something wonderful become available.  My residency in Manhattan seems like a really long time ago but the sights, sounds, and fragrance of NYC will remain with me forever.  Our doorman's name was George.