Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Autumn

Fall began with Sim and me flying to Iowa for Simon (Sim's grandson) and Emily's wedding. It was lovely spending time with Lee and family. In mid-October, I made a quick 2-night trip to NYC. I stayed with Sim's friends Mickey and Bobbie above Lincoln Center. I got to see Courtney and Catharine. I also attended 2 shows and a concert: My Fair Lady, Bernhardt/Hamlet, and Joshua Bell with the NY Philharmonic accompanying The Red Violin. I also went to RH in the meat-packing district to see all the work ML did getting ready for the grand opening of that gallery. I dropped by V & T's restaurant up at 110th Street for a calzone and visited St. John the Divine where I used to spend my Sunday evenings when I lived at Columbia University (~1973-4). I had wonderful food while in the City but I did experience a horrible thing in the subway. I saw a man lying on the tracks as the train was coming. It ran right over the man! I thought it was a prank but it was real.

Most of October involved my getting ready for a big Day of the Dead party on November 2. I had decorations to make, food to prepare, and people to invite. I hadn't made anything with papier mache in over 55 years. About 35 folks came including the live band. Below are some pics.





Coutney, Jimmie, and me at Dim Sum

My lunch at Sakura on 43rd St.

party prep with skull cookies





Pan de Muertos





the ofrenda with pics of everyone's loved ones

Sim and me with part of the Mebanesville band



Halloween party in CA

John-Mac and family



There was lots of food and drink at the party:  apple cider, both red and white sangria, beer, water; make your own tacos al pastor and/or sweet potato, bean, and corn with lots of fixins; three salsas and chips, fruit platter, corn salad, cold shrimp served on a salt block, lumpia, 7-layer bean dip, and guacamole; assorted skeleton, skull, and Mexican Wedding cookies, and iced chocolate cherry brownies (GF). It was very yummy!  The next morning, I hosted a coffee for 35 women (with help from Sim) where all the leftover cookies and brownies as well as the pan de muertos, were devoured.