Friday, January 11, 2019

SMA 2019

Sim and I just returned from a week in San Miguel de Allende (SMA) visiting Sim's daughter, Lee. The weather was lovely in the day but a bit chilly in the night. Sim's second daughter, Laura, also came to visit. Lee, Laura and I went to Lee's exercise class a few times. We just had to follow the instructor's steps to funky music. I think I can do that at home because Alexa will play a funk radio station if I ask.

We had some nice food and especially nice pastries and bread from the French bakery Panio. Their Cereales bread was a rustic hand loaf with black and white sesame seeds inside and out. We all got pedicures at the local mall. We did lots of sightseeing and opportunities for local shopping. The last day we went to Atotonilco which is a small town with a Mexican Baroque church about 15 miles outside of SMA. We flew in and out of León which is a 2-hour drive from SMA. We were there over Epiphany (Three Kings Day) so there were lots of decorations including huge crèches. At night Sim and I would stay in bed (which was warm) and watch pirated DVDs. We enjoyed I, Tonya, Black Klansman, and the following documentaries: GI Jew, RBG, and Gilda. 

I especially enjoyed seeing Emily CD's large mural at the Saturday market. She was ML's college roommate for 3 years at MICA. I'm sorry I missed seeing her as she was out of town.

Planes were all on time but it's a long traveling day.  It was all difficult for Sim who was suffering from some bruised ribs due to a fall out of bed around New Years. While the wheelchairs at the airports were invaluable, they kept changing gates after we were deposited at the original departure gate. It was hard to find staff to push him to the new gates. Sim will not be able to accompany me to Kenya next week. The 14-hour plane ride from NYC to Nairobi would be too difficult.



Rooftop cocktails from the Rosewood

Laura and her fancy cocktail

Huge tree decorated with tin angels in the square

Mural by EmilyCDart

Lee and me at the fountain in SMA

Laura admidst the huge puppets

Churros and chocolate

Three Kings Cookie

Decorations in the Jardin

The Parraquia all lit up

18th C church in Atotonilco

Nave at Atotonilco

Large creche on the high altar

Private chapel at Atotonilco

Painted native wooden sculpture of a reindeer made about 70 years ago
 in the state of Guerrero, hanging in my kitchen