The leaves are beginning to turn and fall on the ground in Chatham Co. Zoe and Zelda and I have been out walking quite a bit and last week I went kayaking with a tennis friend here. It's so nice that the kayak fits inside my car so I don't have to heft it up onto the roof of the RX300. The full moon paddle event from a few weeks ago was rained out so it was good to get out and paddle on the lake last week. My neighbors returned home from spending the last 6 months in Vermont so it's good to have them next door again.
Linda McCaig and I had an article published in Annals of Emergency Medicine this month about how researchers should use the NHAMCS data. My new mattresses are very nice on the twin beds. The ones that were there were bought by my mother-in-law about 80 years ago. They had Mattress Stamps on them- one from South Carolina and one from Florida. Not sure what that was about: like a tax on interstate movement of mattresses or something.
I went to a speed dating event in Chapel Hill about 3 weeks ago--very interesting if not productive. The ladies sit at numbered tables and the men move from one table to another in numerical order. A bell is rung every 5 minutes to signal the shift. At the end you hand in your paper with the specific ID numbers of the persons you'd like to talk with further. The organizer then emails you a list of the mutual choices for you. Not sure I'd go to another but enjoyed it once.
Last week I cleaned my cook top's downdraft vent for the first time. It was disgusting. Underneath it was about 8 inches of captured grease that had been accumulating for 4 years. I did not know it had to be cleaned out every month. Sooooo, I thought maybe I should become a vegetarian. For about a week I have tried not to have any meat, eggs, or cheese. Mostly I find that I am hungry between meals which I am not usually. Not sure how long it will last but it's interesting to find new foods to prepare.
I hurt my arm playing tennis a few weeks ago so was glad for all the rain that cancelled about a week's worth of tennis so my arm could rest. It still hurts but I can use it. I'm off to DC next weekend. Looking forward to hopefully seeing Mary Laurel and Robert.