Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween 2012

I believe today was the first day I can remember in a long while that I didn't have appointments or commitments so I have frittered the day away making focaccia and doing some trip planning.  A few weeks ago I took a bread baking class from a local lady and it was wonderful.  We made rustic Italian bread, challa, cracked wheat, cinnamon rolls, and focaccia.  She gave us some tips that I never thought of before: use a paper towel to clean the bowls so your sponge doesn't get nasty, use bread machine yeast and don't bother proofing it, don't worry about the temperature of the water (just not too hot), and take the bread's temperature to see if done (~190-200 degrees).

I don't think my roses will be blooming much more this season as it will be close to freezing this week at night. But here's a pic of some today with a nice card from cousin Catharine.

 
I was in DC last weekend to see former colleague, Rob, in two Egyptian plays.  I was surprised to see the set decorated with art from an artist I met almost 30 years ago in Hyattsville.  I had bought a piece for my mother, but now I have it, wish I had more.  Had dinner before the plays with Linda and Susan from NCHS.  Spent Saturday afternoon with Catharine and Deborah and we played two rousing games of "Salad Bowl" with the Chamblees. Saw Mary Laurel for dinner Friday night and we traded chairs.  I gave here Moody's W&L chair, and she gave me a Restoration Hardware floor model that I admired.  It's now in my guestroom.  Doesn't it look nice?  Wouldn't you like to come visit and sit in it?


I was surprised to receive a local magazine in the mail from the lady who did the specifications for my closet office space, based on my design.  She had taken a picture of it and submitted it to this magazine and it became the cover story for home improvements.  I feel like I've won an award.



Talked with John Mac today and arranged to visit the Terry's in early March at the end of my Key West trip with Cathy Dippo.  But first, my Morocco trip is coming up fast, better start looking for my passport.