Monday, February 24, 2014

End of February

I have not been good about blog entries lately. I think it has to do with my watching the Australian Open and then the Winter Olympics.  Dowton Abbey also used up my Sunday evenings when I usually post a blog.

Spent most of this weekend working on my China Visa application. What a pain! Turned it in last night at one of our pre-China parties for someone to take to the DC Chinese Embassy to process. I hope I see my passport again! Below are some pics from the covered dish party. Carol Liz and Alice are our leaders.


Steve & Babs, Mark, Joannie, Margaret, Sim
 
 


The baby shower is getting closer and am so looking forward to it. Also we have some nice outings planned for NYC before returning home.

Had Sim's son and daughter-in-law over for dinner Saturday evening. Made some yummy stuff for that from an Israeli cookbook that we got in Sonoma. Below are some pics of the green beans and snow peas w olive oil &pine nuts; multigrains w pistachio, dried apricots & orange rind; and roast turkey breast marinaded in lemon, cilantro, mint, and parsley. Very Tasty!





The house next to where I lived as a child is on the market. I find myself looking it it's pics on line frequently. They want half a million for it but considering how lousy new construction is, it's probably a good deal. It's not as pretty as our old house but very close being built by the same builder at the same time in the 1920's. It has the stained glass window on the stair landing and roughly the same layout only in reverse, and a little smaller. I don't believe there is an upstairs sitting room for example.

My annual physical exam revealed that I have adult onset diabetes so started taking a low dose of Metformin for a few months. John told me about a book where you eat super nutrient foods and exercise which can reduce blood glucose w/o medication so will look into that as well.  My fasting blood sugar was around 160 and the HbA1c was about 7.2 both of which are evidently higher than normal. Never had a problem before so not sure where this is coming from.
 
 
The weather has been extreme from snow, thunderstorms to 72 degrees over the last few weeks.  I've been out walking the dogs and playing tennis when the weather finally turned nice. 

Zelda and Zoe in the snow
Last week we went to a concert by my favorite a cappella group- The Starry Mountain Singers.  The singers come from Elkins WV, Asheville NC, Brattleboro VT, and Durham NC.  Some of their songs are posted on Youtube so here are some links. Do check them out.  It's the kind of singing I would like to do.

Burt/Bilek Selfie






New used rug for me from my acupuncturist




My 1963 WV Centennial pose


Baby's room w Geogia and ML's quilt
 

Holding 1-year old Christopher last week
 
Sim getting ready for poker by the fireplace