Monday, January 20, 2014

Early January

These first few weeks of 2014 have been jam-packed.  Sim and I have been to several wonderful performances by the NC Symphony including Hilary Hahn doing her fabulous thing with the violin.  We saw several good movies including American Hustle, Philomena, Wolf of Wall Street, and some movies I could have missed like Her and Inside Llewyn Davis.

I had a Sunday Brunch here with some of our friends to commemorate the anniversary of Sim and my's first date.  It featured bagels and home-cured gravalax made with dill pressed between the salt blocks I bought last summer.  I also served pancit, dumblings, spiced peaches, and tomato aspic. Then we all went over to Carolina Meadows for a Klezmer band concert. A week or so ago I hosted the block party here.  We take turns once a month. We had abut 20 folks here for that. 

I had lots of tax stuff to deal with making sure I get my own fourth quarter tax estimate close.  I also had the Voices tax return to review and all the donation receipt letters to get out. I've enjoyed testing some new roll recipes including skillet rolls, Sunday rolls, and pretzel rolls.  Yes, I will have to start my new year diet in a week or so.

We met with the local folks taking the China tour and that was very interesting.  The leader kind of tried to lower our expectations saying we get what we pay for...makes me a bit nervous. I think there will be 21 of us including the folks from out of town. Below are some pics of the travelers.

A professional came out to see about my dysfunctional pond and waterfall.  The pump died and he had to do a lot of fancy stuff to put in a new pump because the guy who built the pond didn't consider that one may actually have to get at the pump for some reason some day.  In the process of testing out new pumps we managed to destroy one of my 2 frogs.  Frog legs were seen floating after he turned on the power.  Needless to say we did not go with that pump.  It looks pretty good right now and the fish and one frog seem happy enough.

I'm looking forward to a trip to NYC and a baby shower for ML in Baltimore.  That will be here before I know it.  So far I do not miss being in the Savoyards production of The Sorcerer.  Voices' rehearsals start up at the end of the month.  In the mean time we have several more good concerts coming up.  I also enjoy seeing the items posted on FB that Robert has made with his 3D printer.