Rain cancelled tennis yet again this morning so I spent the time reading my Dad's letters home from 1973 when he was in Bangkok for a year. He wrote to my mother and me every week. And every week, Mother airmailed him the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle in her letter. He wrote of the places he ate lunch, planning for my trip out there in July, money issues, etc. John, Ned, and I all received our master degrees in May, but he wasn't home for any of the ceremonies. Actually I don't remember any of the ceremonies so I guess I didn't go to any, even my own.
ML is returning home today from 2.5 weeks in Chicago setting up a new RH store, part of her new job at the home office which is in Marin Co. Being away that long is hard, leaving R to handle Arlo's needs. I can't imagine being away for a year from your people. When I went to visit Dad, I realized how important those letters were for him. It was very lonely. If anyone wants to see those letters, let me know.
Found some pics while clearing some books from the shelf. This is a quilt that ML and I made for John over 25 years ago.