Friday, April 21, 2023

Move to New Hampshire

 I see that I have not posted about our move from California to New Hampshire last year. We decided we would all like to live together in one house. We could not find a house big enough for us all in CA so we searched houses for sale on east coast and decided we liked this 1983 contemporary house in Bedford which is a stone’s throw from Manchester NH. I sold my townhouse in Novato for a nice profit and used the resulting funds to purchase our new house in Bedford plus a smallish mortgage.

Last May I flew to Boston while my furnishings and car were traveling across country. Mary Laurel, Robert, and the 3 children all came at the end of July. I spent most of the time before they arrived trying to get the house in ship shape. This included getting the above ground pool cleaned and filled w water, resurfacing the chimney, replacing clouded window glass, removing about 20 dead trees, replacing the posts that hold up the decks, screening the double decker porch, replacing rotten wood on decks, window sills, and front door stoop, etc. we also had to remove a dead hot tub in an outbuilding and learning how to  control algae in the swimming pool.

It turns out that our new home is only 5 miles from Patti and Jeff’s new house in Amherst. I stayed with them before my furniture arrived. We go out to eat about once a week and they usually come to dinner here once a week as well. They moved here to be an hour from Molly and an hour from Sunapee.

I joined the NH chapter of Colonial Dames of America but most of their meetings are in Portsmouth which is an hour’s drive. I also joined St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Goffstown which is a 15 minute drive from home.

We have been enjoying our stream-fed pond and fire pit. I’m looking forward to planting a garden. Robert is working on his ceramics studio in the walk-out basement. The boys take the school bus and get lunch at school. They also do sports and Boy Scouts. Evvy tried starting preschool but was just too young for it. He’ll start again in June or September. Sorry I can’t add pics to this post but you can see the house by googling Zillow art 5 Royal Street, Bedford NH.

While all this was happening Ned and Royal sold the ski lodge in VT and bought a house in Charles Town WV. This is close to Royal’s brothers.